A ‘Party Wall’ is a wall or multiple walls or a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the owners/occupants of each residence or business.

If you, or your neighbour, are planning to carry out any kind of building work that would affect an adjoining party wall or are planning excavations within three or six metres of the party wall you will need to serve your neighbour Party Wall notice.

The Party Wall Act of 1996 is a useful source of information as it provides a dispute prevention and resolution framework for boundary walls, party walls and excavations in the vicinity of your neighbour’s buildings.


London Party Wall Surveys

At London Chartered Surveyors we always ensure that all our Party Wall Surveys are carried out by our RICS regulated surveyors, so you can rest assured that the survey we will provide for you is first-rate and impartial.

What Is A Party Wall?

A Party Wall is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings, which is shared by the owners of each residential or commercial property. Our expert RICS regulated Party Wall Surveyors can offer advice on any Party Wall concerns you may have in relation to your commercial or residential property.

What Does A Party Wall Survey Involve?

For properties that share an adjoining boundary or a Party Wall, a Party Wall Surveyor will be hired to help with the preparation and organisation of a Party Wall Award or Agreement, according to the Party Wall Act of 1996.

London Chartered Surveyors can carry out a Party Wall Survey and either act on behalf of the Building Owner, or the Adjacent Owner, anywhere in London. The survey will evaluate the nature of the Party Wall in question and its positioning in relation to both of the properties involved. We can also provide impartial advice to either party to the Party Wall concerning any planned structural changes or repairs that are considered necessary.

When Do I Need A Party Wall Survey?

If you plan to carry out any of the following construction works, you may need to seek the advice of our expert team of Party Wall Surveyors:


  • New wall to be constructed at the boundary of two properties
  • Case of cutting into a Party Wall (e.g. insertion of a supporting steel beam or a chimney breast removal)
  • Rebuilding or knocking down of an existing Party Wall
  • Rebuilding or knocking down of a boundary wall pursuant to a Line of Junction Notice
  • Excavations planned within 3-6 metres of the foundations of your neighbour’s property


Any work carried out in respect of a Party Wall will require a Party Wall Notice to be served.

Contact us about RICS Party Wall Surveys

Once a Party Wall Notice has been served to your neighbour, they then have three options to choose from:

  1. Approve the works: in this case, you don’t need a Party Wall Award and you can proceed with the planned works.
  2. Object to the works and arrange for their own surveyor to carry out a survey. In this case, you will need a Party Wall Award and you will have to appoint a Party Wall Surveyor. Once a Party Wall Award is in place, the notified works are then authorised under certain conditions. As an example, if you plan to form any trenches for your foundations, the Party Wall Award may insist that you install temporary shoring supports. On most occasions, the Party Wall Award will also stipulate that you are solely responsible for any damage caused to your neighbour’s property. When this clause is included, you will most likely have to pay their Party Wall Surveyor’s professional fees, as well as your own.
  3. Object to the works and appoint what is known as an ‘agreed surveyor’. In this case, you and your neighbour have to agree to appoint a surveyor who will then be required to give their assessment of the situation. A Party Wall Award is necessary in this case, even though only one Party Wall Surveyor is involved, because they are acting on behalf of both property owners.

How Will I Know Which Party Wall Notice To Serve?

The Party Wall Act of 1996 states that there are 3 different types of Party Wall Notice that you may need to serve before embarking on any conversion or extension works to your residential or commercial property. There are also legal notice periods that you must adhere to before commencing any works, which are related to the type of work that you want to carry out on your property or to the Party Wall.

London Chartered Surveyors are always available to advise about which type of Party Wall Notice you may need to serve according to your situation and can provide information and guidance about the required statutory notice period.


Our team of chartered surveyors at London Chartered Surveyors specialise in resolving any disputes concerning a Party Wall according to the Party Wall Act of 1996.

Our expert Party Wall surveyors adhere to the guidelines established by the Party Wall Act 1996, which means that you will receive helpful, unbiased and impartial advice.


Request a Callback

For a free no-obligation quote, or just a chat to one of our experts, just enter your details below and we'll get in touch with you.


Why Choose London Chartered Surveyors?

We are regulated by the RICS – The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. We offer all three levels of RICS survey.

Whichever level of service you require, London Chartered Surveyors can give you reliable and cost effective support.

Call today for a free no-obligation quote on 0207 205 4558